This is a simple and delicious cake that uses the whole orange, which I find exciting each time I make it. I like it with flaked almonds as well as the almond meal for the texture they add. It is not very sweet, as none of my baking recipes are.
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 vanilla bean
3 cups almond meal
1/3 cup flaked almonds
1 tsp baking powder
Zest from 1 orange
Juice from 2 oranges
1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 160, 150 if fan forced.
- Prepare a 22cm cake tine by lining the bottom and buttering the sides
- Boil the whole oranges in water, making sure they are submerged at all times for 1 hour until they are very soft. Roughly chop them and remove any seeds then puree them until smooth.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add to the eggs. Beat the eggs and sugar until they reach the consistency of cream and the sugar is dissolved.
- Combine the almond meal, baking powder and flaked almonds.
- Gently fold the eggs and orange puree into the dry ingredients. Pour into the cake tin and bake for an hour. Allow to cool for 10 mins before turning out as it is so moist and delicate that it can easily break.
- To make the syrup combine all ingredients in a pan and simmer on medium heat until thick and syrupy. Pour all over cake.
No related posts.